The Princeton Longevity Center Recipes
PLC’s Irish Soda Bread
PLC Registered Dietitian Karen McPartland increased the fiber and vitamin E content of this recipe by including pumpkin seeds and wheat germ in the ingredient list.
1 Tbsp. and 1 t. apple cider vinegar
1 ¼ cup skim milk
2½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup wheat germ
¾ t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and milk, whisking until just combined and slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in another mixing bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin seeds; Mix until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Combine the milk mixture with the olive oil and pour this into the well. Using a spoon, fold in the dry mixture with the wet until forming a soft dough.
- Press the dough into a round shape and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until golden brown.
Calories: 210, Total Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 0.5 g, Protein: 8g, Carbohydrate: 36g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 3g, Sodium: 480mg
Join our E-mail List